Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Pickled Pinhead Poem


(click on image to enlarge)

Well, it took me about 2 hours to ink this illustration. I think that it turned out well. There are some things I really need to work on when I draw in this style. I will talk about those things later in future posts.......

Writing poems and illustrating them is something very new to me. I have never considered myself much of a writer. I never did enjoy writing in school and avoided those classes like the plague. As I have gotten older, I have been reading a lot more and enjoying the power of the written word. A couple years ago, Tim Burton wrote and illustrated a book of poems that was wonderful. That book was very inspiring for me. Then I discovered artist/illustrator Gris Grimly. Grimly's illustrations and writing are just absolutely amazing. It has been a long time since I have been so inspired by someone's work. The combination of his visual style and the subject matter that he writes about are a perfect combination. They compliment each other so well.

This illustration is the last piece that I needed to finish before I go off to press with my little book. I have been very discouraged lately with the process of finding a printer for this thing. The estimates are coming in way too high for just 35 copies of a 22 page book. I guess I need to do a huge print run in order to get this at a lower price. That wouldn't be that big of a deal if I was going to try and sell it. But since these will ALL be given away as gifts, I need to watch what I spend. Plus, I need to keep saving my money for my trip to Japan.............

Jack

No comments: