Tuesday, December 27, 2005

PICKLED CHRISTMAS

I decided to give drawings this year as gifts to members of my family. I went with the PICKLED theme since that seems to be where my drawing style is at the moment. Drawings are a nice unique and rather inexpensive gift. The most expensive part on these three drawings was the frame.

I am very lucky to have a family that understands my art and the thinking that goes behind it.

I really like to draw things floating. I haven't really figured out why............ I saw an image Dave Cooper drew where he made one of his characters float and I have been hooked doing it since.


(click on image to enlarge)

This is a drawing of "Sir Preston" my Father's Boston Terrier. I am not as happy with drawing as I thought I would be. I guess I don't like the position of his body. I think it works well in a "creepy" kind of way, but it just didn't turn out like what I had originally envisioned.



(click on image to enlarge)

My sister's gift was this violin. My sister is an excellent violin player and music educator up in Wyoming. I thought that a violin would be appropriate for her this year. Last year I did a painting of her cat, so I was in the mood for something different.



(click on image to enlarge)

This drawing is of my Mother's dog "Bark-Lee". I decided to just do a floating head on this drawing. I think that is because I was not as happy as I could be with the floating "Sir Preston" I drew for my Dad. Plus, drawing just the head was a little quicker for me to do and I was very limited on time. This one was also a challenge to draw since I was so limited on picture reference. But I compared it to him on Christmas morning and I was happy with how close I came to a likeness.(sans the warts)

Everybody seemed pleased with their PICKLED gifts.

It was a nice Christmas.

Jack

No comments: