Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Dauber



My dog Dauber is an amazing animal. He is very intelligent and is one of the sweetest dogs you will ever meet. Dauber loves to play and most of all Dauber loves to play fetch. If you start to pet him or pay attention to him in anyway he will run away from the attention to go and find a toy so you can throw it for him or to play tug of war with him. It is a very undeniable urge that he has. He is focused on one thing and one thing only. He needs to have a toy. That is his priority. He seems to be very insecure without it. He is just like Linus and his blanket.

Two weeks ago I got a call from my Parents telling me that they had taken my dog Dauber, a five year old Boston Terrier to the Emergency Room at Alameda East Veterinary. It seemed that my Father saw Dauber acting very disoriented and was walking very strange and rushed him to hospital. I immediately left work, got in my truck and sped over to the animal hospital. When I got to the hospital they had already taken him to one of the back rooms to do an EKG and some blood tests. It took about 20 minutes for them to come out to get me so I could go back and see him........... That was quite a long wait for me. I walked back with the vet to see Dauber. I expected to see Dauber laying unconscious on a table with a bunch of tubes in him. To my surprise Dauber was up, alert and the acting like the wonderful dog he always is.
The vet brought us the results from his blood tests and everything was normal. There wasn't anything in his blood test to explain why Dauber had acted the way he did. The vet told us that it seemed that Dauber had a seizure of some sort, but the exact cause is unknown without doing more tests such as an MRI to check for a brain tumor.

We took Dauber home and watched him very close for the next two weeks. Dauber acted normal and was his natural self until the day before Thanksgiving. Dauber had just eaten his dinner and he started acting as if he was disoriented just like he did before, he even leaned up against the stove so he would not fall over. My Mother picked him up and put him on the couch, she tried to get his attention but he just stared straight ahead. After about 10 minutes he seemed to come out of it and started acting normal. Since it was the holiday we had to wait and take him to our regular vet on Friday. The vet checked him over and could not find anything wrong with him. The vet said that based on what we explained to him he thought that Dauber had a petit mal seizure and that he could be epileptic. My cat Sketch is epileptic so this is nothing new to our family. The vet prescribed phenobarbital to help control the seizures. Hopefully, this is the correct diagnosis and not turn into something much worse, like a brain tumor.

Lately, Dauber has been the same crazy dog with only one thing on his mind....... he has to have his toys.

I love my dog,

Jack

No comments: