Sunday, November 20, 2005

Glenn Barr


(pictured from left to right: My wife, Me and Glenn)

Glenn Barr is an amazing artist. Just looking at his art fulfills a need and a desire in my brain and it even makes me happy. Glenn is based in Detroit and paints better than anyone I know (for those of you who do not know, Glenn used to paint backgounds for Ren and Stimpy and many other cartoons). His paintings now hang in galleries all around the country and are always featured in Juxtapoz Magazine. His drawings and paintings have also been on CD covers, Rock Concert Posters and in Mad Magazine, various DC Comics, etc.

I have been a huge fan of Glenn and his work since before 1995. I can remember when I was at the 1996 Chicago Comic Convention signing with Chaos! Comics when I found out that Glenn had a table in artists alley. I was very nervous to approach him and ask for a sketch because he looked all tough and mean in his black leather jacket. (...scary...) I hesitantly asked if he had time to do a drawing. I came back to his table an hour later and there was my masterpiece. I had asked him to draw a character I designed while working for Chaos! Comics, "Li'l E." an animated version of Evil Ernie. When I saw the sketch I was in awe. My first Glenn Barr original.......That was a very good day for me. :) I have been collecting his art ever since.

I was fortunate to be able to have dinner and hang out with him a couple of weeks ago. The photo above represents the end of a great night of food, wine and art. It was very hard for me to not go "fanboy" that night.


This is one of the beautiful Glenn Barr original paintings that I own. I am very proud of it. It is a perfect combination of all of the things I love: Glenn's painting style, Japan, Godzilla, and the Flintstones.

Check out his website at:
  • Glenn Barr

  • Jack

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    I seethe with jealosy! SEETHE I SAY!