Saturday, September 09, 2006

PANDANE KAIBUTSUKUN

Thirty-four days have passed and I am finally able to post something here. I guess I could post small insignificant crap everyday, but would it be worth doing? Would it be worth reading? I have thought about doing a daily or even weekly sketch. Just post an image, no text.... nothing but a drawing..... we will see if that happens..... it might be fun to do....... maybe....

Again, time is my enemy and I am losing the battle. I get myself involved in all of these projects and it never leaves me time for much else. Not that it is a bad thing..... it just does not give me the opportunity to update my blog with strong content that would be interesting to read and to look at....

Everything in my life has been going really well since I got married. A lot of people ask me if I feel different, and I have to honestly say..... "Yes, a little bit". Not much has changed as far as our day-to-day life, but there is a strong feeling that is very new to me and it is hard to place my finger on it to describe it...... I guess I could describe the feeling as "Overwhelming Responsibility ". What does that mean exactly? There are a lot of levels to it, and I am not really awake enough at 4:30 am on Saturday to go into specifics. Besides, this blog is to talk about my art not this drama stuff......

Lets get to the ART.

I have been working really hard over the past couple of weeks to get my custom Pillsbury Doughboy finished in time for the "Yeast Infection" online show and auction that takes place on the 6th of October.



I had a hard time trying to figure out what I exactly wanted to do with this custom. When I was looking at the Doughboy's design the biggest problem for me was trying to figure out something to do with the chef's hat. It seemed to be always in the way with the ideas I came up with. I thought about cutting it off.... but that would have taken the look of the custom farther from the original toy than I wanted to go.

Here is the sketch I decided to use for the sculpt:


(click on image to enlarge)

In-progress pics:


(click on image to enlarge)


(click on image to enlarge)

Once the initial sculpt is finished and put in the oven, I started to think about paint. I originally thought about going with a green color for this guy but I felt that had been done so many times with monsters, especially Japanese kaiju. So I went with the same color scheme as I did with the custom Skumbo I did awhile back..... (They look like they are related if you put them next to each other).

The final Piece:


(click on image to enlarge)

This is how he would look if he was 250 feet tall......


(click on image to enlarge)

Now that I look at the final piece I guess I must have been subconciously inspired by Matango. Because the similarities are very close....... Since I had to use the chef's hat, the custom ended up looking like a big mutant mushroom. Although Pandane Kaibutsukun has a giant brain and not a mushroom cap for a head.........



Remember, PANDANE KAIBUTSUKUN is for an online show and auction..... As much as it pains me to write this...... he will be for sale. So, please bid high and bid often. I don't usually sell my customs, so please give him a good home. I will be posting an auction link once the "Yeast Infection" auctions get rolling.

Next up on my plate is working on a custom 9" Bud for the The Bomb Project show that is happening in Denton, TX from Nov. 18th - Dec. 2nd. I haven't really figured out what I am going to do yet..... but I am sure it will have bumps all over it.

Jack

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing work Jack! I love the look and feel of that piece. I had a Godzilla flashback when I saw the first pic, it's pretty easy to picture it 50' tall.

I'll be looking forward to links of the show. Who knows, maybe I'll even bid on the bumpy little guy.

-Frank